Re: Debian on mac68k

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Mac User wrote:

> boot/vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+ -- 4907715 bytes
> vmlinux-4.1.35-mac_scsi-egret+ -- 3818980 bytes

The small one is a stripped binary. It should make no difference.

> Ok.. Neither kernel booted on my 32 MB Mac IIfx; both hung right
> after the Penguin boot process. My IIfx has the following hardware:
>  a) Farallon EtherMac II-C ethernet card
>  b) Radius PrecisionColor 24X Series video card
>
> The Penguin booter complained that it wasn't able to turn off slot
> interrupts on either card (though that's not normally a problem).

Slot interrupts are a potential problem (when the kernel is booted using
Penguin) if MacOS has loaded drivers for those cards. You can usually
avoid this by booting with extensions off.

For the IIfx and Q900/950, you need to put serial ports in "compatible"
mode.

These problems and workarounds are discussed here,
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/penguin.php