Re: xorg-server FTBFS

Finn Thain dixit:

>> [...]
>> Multiply this by the amount of packages I deal with, because almost no
>> two use the same bugtracker.
>> [...]
>> DevRef clearly says that this *is* the package maintainer's job.

This specific quoting brings two things together which don’t.

>What does DevRef etc say about dpo?

dpo is not Debian, although it’s general policy (not Policy though)
to support it best-effort. As such, DevRef is silent on it AFAIK.

However, this paragraph is pretty clear:

┌──┤ 3.1.4. Coordination with upstream developers ├───────────────────┐
│                                                                     │
│   A big part of your job as Debian maintainer will be to stay in    │
│   contact with the upstream developers. Debian users will sometimes │
│   report bugs that are not specific to Debian to our bug tracking   │
│   system. You have to forward these bug reports to the upstream     │
│   developers so that they can be fixed in a future upstream         │
│   release.                                                          │
│                                                                     │
└─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

This means that Debian maintainers even *have to* forward bugs to
upstream which a Debian user reported against the Debian package
even if the bug occurs on, say, Raspian or possibly even SuSE.
(Rationale is probably that such bugs often do affect Debian too.
In the case of dpo, this can become tau if a port is promoted,
like s390x was.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Stéphane, I actually don’t block Googlemail, they’re just too utterly
stupid to successfully deliver to me (or anyone else using Greylisting