Re: atari and LVM

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 12:06:49PM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:

> > This is one of Michael's kernels, I think have booted this before:
> > Linux garkin 3.19.0-rc6-atari-232208-g106c1ac #322 Mon Mar 23 08:49:31 NZDT 2015 m68k GNU/Linux
>
> If you suspect that the partition tables are corrupt, it would be a good
> idea to fix that first. If the kernel misbehaves after that, please update
> it. I would also check that the installed lvm2 package is up-to-date.
>
> The log message above says that queue_max_hw_sectors(q) is zero. But the
> "bio too big" error was removed in v4.3, so I'm disinclined to pursue
> that.

The kernel, thanks! I found another kernel, 4.2, which does not show this
problem. I also tried the official debian 4.3 one, how do I tell bootstrap
to use the initrd? It would be nice if it were easier to pick between
different kernels on the atari, other than using separate directories for
the kernel, the bootloader, the bootargs, the initrd...

> If I had to guess, I'd say that some component is still offline/inactive.
> You might learn more from 'lvs --all', 'pvdisplay', 'vgdisplay' etc.

After rebooting I still have to activate the lvs partitions, no idea what
sets them offline. Maybe after the next reboot everything will have
recovered again.

Adrian: installing on a different disk is a good idea, do you remember the
install session a year ago? I find ataris a bit tricky, and I don't have too
many (working) 2.5 IDE disks lying around. However, the disk seems to have
recovered mostly. Maybe the crash only destroyed the hddriver installation.
I could fix that, so I can boot properly again. The Ethernat also works,
only it does not accept the route I have set, I have to add that manually?
Seems my m68k skills have become a bit rusty, if I can figure out why the
swap partition has been activated but does not show up in free, I may be
able to start a buildd again.

Christian