Re: ruby2.2 fuckup (was Re: Log for attempted build of libselinux_2.4-3 on m68k (dist=unstable))

> On Nov 24, 2015, at 11:55 PM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
>> Not really possible to keep the Aranyms. They take up space in my
>> office which I and especially my boss want to get rid of. The qemu-m68k
>> stuff can be easily set up on our VMWare cluster.
>
> Why Aranym emulator takes office space and cannot be run in VMs?
> Or did you mean real HW?

Aranym is a bit more complicated than just using qemu-user-static plus sbuild.

For Aranym, I first need to run a X server to set up the system. You cannot configure Aranym headless.

Secondly, you need a manual, more complicated network configuration as compared to qemu which requires nothing in this regard. Considering that my university has a special network configuration for the Linux hosts, everything that requires extra configuration is rather bad.

To run Aranym, I basically need a Debian machine which is manually installed and configured, while for qemu, I can just spin up four VMWare machines, make a fully automatic installation (FAI) over the network and set up and configure qemu plus sbuild.

This means much less adminstration work for me and makes my boss much happier because I spent less time on these things and since the buildds run "our Linux", they can be much easier maintained within the IT department.

Don't forget, I am not hosting this at home but at my university where I work. And I am already hosting way too many buildds. Thus, I should try to keep the maintenance overhead as low as possible and make sure that the machines adhere to the IT guidelines of my employer.

Given that I currently host nine m68k buildds, one sh4 buildd, one x32 buildd and one huge HP desktop which hosts four hppa buildds, I don't think I really need to defend myself here. This doesn't include the extra work I spend on sparc64 even. My university also donated two rather expensive SFF SAS drives for the sparc64 buildd I maintain in Hungary.

>>> I think the instruction emulation is at the same level as Aranym, but
>>> the qemu linux-user part has some issues with multi-threaded applications.
>>
>> Well, we'll see how it goes. Packages like gcc-5 and systemd build fine,
>> so I am not too scared. For pure building, qemu-m68k is a very good
>> alternative.
>
> Btw. Nokia's "Debian based" Maemo distro used qemu for running
> any necessary native code during cross-builds.  All code for
> it was cross-built (to ARM, before Debian supported given ARM
> versions), same was with Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo that followed
> Maemo.  It worked fine until Nokia stopped doing Linux based
> phones/tablets.

qemu-arm still works fine and Google uses it for its Android emulator, don't they?

> Besides threading (and unimplemented syscalls + bugs), one more
> issue was /proc/ files.  I guess e.g. /proc/PID/auxv HW capability
> leakage from host is nowadays plugged in user-space Qemu and
> provides suitable values for m68k?
>
> Threading part can mean that you get random problems, e.g. with
> threaded test-suites (gstreamer?), that are run as part of build
> process.  While the other issues are fixable in user-space Qemu,
> AFAIK the threading issue really isn't. :-/

I haven't really run into any bigger issues yet. Some packages got stuck during build, but that's all really.

If you want to have things improved, you're very welcome to help.

Adrian