Re: ruby2.2 fuckup (was Re: Log for attempted build of libselinux_2.4-3 on m68k (dist=unstable))

Hi,

On 11/21/2015 01:11 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 11/21/2015 12:08 PM, Laurent Vivier wrote:
You should keep some Aranyms and real hardwares: qemu-m68k is not perfect.

Not really possible to keep the Aranyms. They take up space in my
office which I and especially my boss want to get rid of. The qemu-m68k
stuff can be easily set up on our VMWare cluster.

Why Aranym emulator takes office space and cannot be run in VMs?
Or did you mean real HW?

I think the instruction emulation is at the same level as Aranym, but
the qemu linux-user part has some issues with multi-threaded applications.

Well, we'll see how it goes. Packages like gcc-5 and systemd build fine,
so I am not too scared. For pure building, qemu-m68k is a very good
alternative.

Btw. Nokia's "Debian based" Maemo distro used qemu for running
any necessary native code during cross-builds.  All code for
it was cross-built (to ARM, before Debian supported given ARM
versions), same was with Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo that followed
Maemo.  It worked fine until Nokia stopped doing Linux based
phones/tablets.

Besides threading (and unimplemented syscalls + bugs), one more
issue was /proc/ files.  I guess e.g. /proc/PID/auxv HW capability
leakage from host is nowadays plugged in user-space Qemu and
provides suitable values for m68k?

Threading part can mean that you get random problems, e.g. with
threaded test-suites (gstreamer?), that are run as part of build
process.  While the other issues are fixable in user-space Qemu,
AFAIK the threading issue really isn't. :-/

	- Eero