Re: Modern Kernels that can boot from IDE drive LC 630

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Jesse Osiecki wrote:

> I am now stuck booting Penguin in that I have no suitable kernel to boot
> my newly created linux partition. Using another computer and an IDE to
> usb adapter I moved all of the base.cow
> (http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/) onto an ext2 partition. The
> problem that arises is that the kernel on Thorsten's page refuses to
> boot past ABCEFJKI,

You mean this one?
http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/20121227/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-mac
I can't comment -- I never tried it.

Yes that's it.

> the 2.6.21 (I think that's it) kernel that I was using to boot the etch
> iso is far too old (boots and claims to mount the partition as ext2 read
> only, but then has a kernel panic claiming that the kernel is too old),

Yes. I wouldn't really expect that to work.

> and the 3.14 kernel in the debian-ports repo outright crashes with a
> load of garbage (I can post it, but im not sure how to capture the log.
> Maybe a picture?).

Please post it. A photo is probably easiest if the interesting stuff has
not scrolled away. The best way to capture the entire log is to use a
serial console but you'd need the right cable and you'd need a second
computer with a serial port. (It isn't just the errors at the end that are
informative; the entire log is helpful in some cases.)
I do have a null modem that works with the macintosh, but it doesnt seem to like outputting correctly with penguin. I'll try again, but last time, with settings that were the same on both ends, it just spat garbage onto my laptop terminal. I'll post a pic tonight when I am off work.

> If anyone has a working kernel for Penguin to boot into the base.cow, I
> would love them eternally.

What sort of Mac are you using? Have you looked at
http://mac.linux-m68k.org/status/

Performa 630 (soon to be with a full FPU, now without). It is supported as long as it doesn't have a defective 68040, which I ran an age old tester that seemed to confirm that it was an ok chip (some of these were notoriously bad).

For some time now I've been intending to build a recent, non-modular,
mac-only kernel for http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/
If I send you a build, can you test it for me?

I would not only test it, but I would love to contribute.