Re: Modern Kernels that can boot from IDE drive LC 630

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Jesse Osiecki wrote:

> I am now stuck booting Penguin in that I have no suitable kernel to boot
> my newly created linux partition. Using another computer and an IDE to
> usb adapter I moved all of the base.cow
> (http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/) onto an ext2 partition. The
> problem that arises is that the kernel on Thorsten's page refuses to
> boot past ABCEFJKI,

You mean this one?
http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/20121227/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-mac
I can't comment -- I never tried it.

> the 2.6.21 (I think that's it) kernel that I was using to boot the etch
> iso is far too old (boots and claims to mount the partition as ext2 read
> only, but then has a kernel panic claiming that the kernel is too old),

Yes. I wouldn't really expect that to work.

> and the 3.14 kernel in the debian-ports repo outright crashes with a
> load of garbage (I can post it, but im not sure how to capture the log.
> Maybe a picture?).

Please post it. A photo is probably easiest if the interesting stuff has
not scrolled away. The best way to capture the entire log is to use a
serial console but you'd need the right cable and you'd need a second
computer with a serial port. (It isn't just the errors at the end that are
informative; the entire log is helpful in some cases.)

> If anyone has a working kernel for Penguin to boot into the base.cow, I
> would love them eternally.

What sort of Mac are you using? Have you looked at
http://mac.linux-m68k.org/status/

For some time now I've been intending to build a recent, non-modular,
mac-only kernel for http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/
If I send you a build, can you test it for me?