work needed: bug in eglibc preventing dpkg via yak shaving

Hi *,

new dpkg needs devscripts 2.14.4 whose testsuite uncovered a bug
in eglibc:

nss/nss_files/files-hosts.c

  218                   assert ((bufferend - (char *) 0) % sizeof (char *) == 0);

I’ve looked a bit, but the eglibc source there makes me ill.
Someone might want to investigate, fix that upstream, and then
ask the Debian maintainers to add it.

Someone should, in parallel, build the eglibc version with the
fix locally, then build devscripts against that and run its
testsuite. That package has a history of bad tests, and I predict
that there are more fixes (to an unknown number of packages)
needed to get it to pass.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“ah that reminds me, thanks for the stellar entertainment that you and certain