Re: Improving Performance

Stefan,

Adding an option to the atafb video driver make use of the SuperVidel
hardware would be the easiest option. The SuperVidel base address is
fixed, and it can use any chunk of FastRAM for frame buffer, presumably?

The SuperVidel has 128MB Video RAM (DDR2 SDRAM):

Thanks, that'll make it easier, we just need to ioremap a chunk of the video RAM.

0xA0000000 16MB - this is a shadow of ST RAM in DDR2 SDRAM
Write access to ST RAM will be sniffed and done to the shadow RAM automagically.

We can't write to ST-RAM if the kernel is in FastRAM, for now. The bus snooping is done for the entire 16 MB, in hardware? The atafb driver would need to keep well clear of that segment if ST-RAM is used by the kernel (i.e. kernel in ST-RAM).

0xA1000000 112MB - this is the general purpose Video/graphics RAM
Can be read/write accessed as Byte/Word/Long

Here you can find the SV memory map: http://hencox.dyndns.org/homepage/Self/SuperVidelMemoryMap.pdf

Thanks, that might come in handy.

In that case, it might be sufficient to change the fixed Videl base
address to a variable one in the atafb driver, and perhaps use kmalloc
instead of stram_alloc to allocate the frame buffer. If someone with
access to this hardware is interested in giving this a try, I'd be happy
to elaborate.

Yeah, i'd be happy to try.

OK, I'll have a look at the atafb code and try to see where it will need changes. Replacing stram_alloc by ioremap of a chunk at 0xA1000000 and hardcoding the Videl base address for that of the Supervidel (if necessary) is what I'd try first.

(You'd need to compile your own kernels, and having a serial cable
between the SCC modem port and some other computer for capturing kernel
boot logs would be a clear bonus.)

I can surely need a helping hand in this, (compile kernel) but i found
someone who showed me how to set up a crosscompiler and kernelconfig.

The last crosscompiler I got was from kernel.org, following a hint from Geert. I can provide a fairly minimal .config (for CT60, so no 030 support).

Geert's Atari defconfig ought to be a good starting point, too.

Cheers,

	Michael

Will figure out.

Thanks so far,