Re: Improving Performance

Hi Michael,

Yes, the Falcon IDE is not too fast. But loading the OS needs 10 minutes.
That can't honestly be the fault of a slow IDE bus.

I wouldn't mind losing all ST RAM. The option to NOT load kernel into
ST RAM is there, but it simply hangs. I guess this is because of the
Atari tries to allocate video memory in ST RAM, which in this case is not accessible, correct?

People that need to use ST RAM because the have too little TT RAM, could still use the -s kernel option and enable ST RAM for kernel.

Perhaps an option to specify the video RAM adress space is easier to implement to the existing memory model?

There is an PCI bus upgrade to the Falcon, which enables tu use ATi Radeon 7500-9250 cards and there also exists (i have this) a Supervidel. Supervidel is an extension card to the Falcon 060 upgrade. Its register compatible to the original Videl graphics chip of Falcon 030.

Both, ATi Radeon and SuperVidel have video RAM outside the ST RAM.
Thus a kernel option like "VRAM = adress" would probably get it going...

Greetings,
Stefan