Re: Making use of the BigRamPlus?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Ingo Jürgensmann
<ij@2013.bluespice.org> wrote:
> On 2013-12-17 10:49, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>>
>>> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 148.747 s, 1.8 MB/s
>>
>> So it's working. No idea why mkswap failed early.
>
> Does mkswap expect a block device instead of character device?

Yes it does.

> spice:/home/ij# ls -l /dev/mtd0
> crw------- 1 root root 90, 0 Dec 17 10:04 /dev/mtd0

And this is indeed a character device.

> When i try to use it with modprobe mtdswap partitions=0 header=1 I get this:
>
> [11118.260000] mtdswap: mtd0 does not have OOB

OOB = Out Of Band. That's the extra data NAND FLASH exposes, which is
used by the driver for block wear leveling.

mtdswap: "Turns an MTD device into a swap device with block wear leveling".

We don't need block wear leveling, so please use mtdblock instead.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds