Re: BigRamPlus arrived

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@2013.bluespice.org> wrote:
> This means that the kernel would be located in the slow ZorroIII memory (256M), which should be avoided in the long run. We need support for SPARSEMEM and priority of mem chunks as in AmigaOS, i.e. memory chunk with highest priority should be preferred first.
>
> The next steps would be:
> - start SPARSEMEM support in kernel

Yep.

> - find out if we need a new amiboot

I'd really like to avoid the need for a new amiboot.
You would only need a new amiboot when extending the passed bootinfo.

Amiboot already has memfile support, so you can specify the order of the
memory chunks. What's "missing" is a way to specify memory chunk priorities.
A naive method is to just assume the first chunk has the highest priority
(but you probably don't want that on Atari, where ST-RAM would be the first
chunk by default).
Alternatively, it could be done automatically, by the kernel measuring read
(and/or write) performance of the different memory chunks in a loop similar
to the delay loop calibration.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds