Re: BigRamPlus arrived

Am 08.12.2013 um 14:12 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>:

>> - find out if we need a new amiboot
> I'd really like to avoid the need for a new amiboot.

Yeah,me too... ;)

> You would only need a new amiboot when extending the passed bootinfo.
>
> Amiboot already has memfile support, so you can specify the order of the
> memory chunks. What's "missing" is a way to specify memory chunk priorities.
> A naive method is to just assume the first chunk has the highest priority
> (but you probably don't want that on Atari, where ST-RAM would be the first
> chunk by default).
> Alternatively, it could be done automatically, by the kernel measuring read
> (and/or write) performance of the different memory chunks in a loop similar
> to the delay loop calibration.

Or even easier: we know that memory on accelerator cards will be located at 0x08000000 (didn't count the zeros ;) and should have the highest priority. Same to Z3 RAM and motherboard memory. So we could define priorities by address space. At least this should be safe for Amigas, I think. Don't know about Ataris, though.
Measuring the memory speed would be a more generic and maybe more robust approach, maybe.

--
Ciao...            //      Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo       \X/       http://blog.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc