Penguin bug? was, Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Finn Thain wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Scott Holder wrote:
>
> > On 11/12/2013 12:12 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > In the meantime, here's the vmlinuz from it and the initrd from my
> > > ARAnyM system (i.e. "I can boot it but no guarantee you can"):
> > >
> > > http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinuz-3.12-rc7-m68k
> > > http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/initrd.img-3.12-rc7-m68k
> >
> > I can report that these do not work for me on the LC 475. I don't even
> > get an initial boot console, it just freezes in Penguin after
> > gunzipping the kernel and beginning the process and doing something
> > for the slot interrupts.
>
> This regression, also reported by Patrick (hang at "K") ...

Seems I wasn't paying attention. You described a freeze "in Penguin" (not
at "K").

I've never seen Penguin fail like that before, so I was surprised when I
struck that problem today: Penguin freezes immediately after printing
"slot_int_set: ..." when booting some of my 3.12 kernel builds.

I did find a workaround: unzip the kernel before booting it.
$ gzip -dc < vmlinuz-3.12-rc7-m68k > vmlinux-3.12-rc7-m68k

You might want to try it -- though my gzip'd copy of vmlinuz-3.12-rc7-m68k
freezes at "K" and not in Penguin...

BTW, my copy of vmlinuz-3.12-rc7-m68k came from
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/linux-image-3.12-rc7-m68k_3.12~rc7-1~exp1+m68k.1_m68k.deb

I extracted the kernel config from that deb and used it to build mainline
3.12 and found that this build also hangs at "K". So it's apparently an
upstream bug. I'll try to narrow it down further.

Finn