Re: TLS, was Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

Finn Thain dixit:

>Losing a register also hurts performance. Someone suggested moving

Right, but at least m68k is not as register-starved as i386.
And when changing the ABI “anyway”, we could do other sensible
things (64-bit time_t, register passing of arguments, other
legacy cleanup).

>get/set_thread_area to a VDSO (as well as the atomic ops). As I understand
>it, this need not break the ABI and should be faster than the TLS system
>calls.

It will not break the ABI, but how’d it work?

• One kernel/user shared, readonly, page global (for time, atomic)
• One kernel/user shared page per thread (instead of process),
  for TLS (and possibly random)?

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of