Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>However, Atari iplan2p4/8 (and Amiga afb4/8) support has been in
>upstream xserver-xfbdev for a few months.

Ok, so it should be in Debian in 10 years or so ☺ SCNR…

>> Anything GTK+/GNOME (e.g. xchat) is not usable due to
>> their use of TLS and/or atomics. I had thought KDE would
>> suffer from the same, but they seem to be faster…
>
>We do have TLS now, don't we?

Yes, that precisely is the problem.

We *must* break the ABI, put aside an A register for the
TLS thread base, and do something about the syscall overhead
for things like atomic_cmpxchg, gettimeofday, etc. too, like
shared kernel/user pages.

As things are, TLS gets us a massive slowdown (e.g. running
apt-get download to get a 6 KiB .deb file from the archive,
the http component alone (separate program) takes 4000 in‐
stead of 380 or so syscalls, which makes it perform worse
than what the NIC is capable of, even on bare metal).

Or… just avoid stuff that uses TLS.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
> Hi, does anyone sell openbsd stickers by themselves and not packaged
> with other products?
No, the only way I've seen them sold is for $40 with a free OpenBSD CD.
	-- Haroon Khalid and Steve Shockley in gmane.os.openbsd.misc