Re: [RFC] m68k: Update defconfigs for v3.9

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@2013.bluespice.org> wrote:
>>> arch/m68k/configs/mac_defconfig ------------------+
>>> CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION                  : y y y y y . y y y y y .
>> Shouldn't MAC_PARTITION be enabled for the mac configuration?
>
> Yeah, I wondered about that for Amiga as well, but then I noticed that the corresponding partition is not selected for none of the specific subarch.
> I assumed therefor that this isn't necessary and the partition is selected/included automatically when the subarch is chosen.
> But I guess Geert can explain it in more depth. :-)

Welcome to the magic of reduced defconfigs and "savedefconfig"!

If you do "make ARCH=m68k mac_defconfig" resp.
"make ARCH=m68k amiga_defconfig", it will expand the reduced defconfig.
The MAC_PARTITION resp. AMIGA_PARTITION options will be enabled,
as they default to y in Kconfig for the Mac resp. Amiga platform.

We could also disable PARTITION_ADVANCED, but this would drop support
for non-native partition types[*]. As m68k developers/users tend to move
disks between systems, it may if more partition support is included in the
defconfigs.

[*] Default partition support with PARTITION_ADVANCED=n would be:
  - Everybody has MSDOS and EFI support,
  - Amiga has Amiga support,
  - Atari has Atari suport,
  - Mac has Mac support.
  - Sun3/3x has Sun partition support,
  - VME has SYSV68 partition support.
The multi_defconfig would have all of them, but that kernel image may be too
big to boot on all systems.

So please look at at least one of the full expanded .config files, to
see if there's
more rubbish to disable (or to enable ;-) in the non-platform-specific options.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds