Re: buildds screwed?

On 18-05-13 11:41, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
> Am 18.05.2013 um 11:13 schrieb Tuomas Vainikka <tuomas.vainikka@kopteri.net>:
>
>>> Hmmm, well, all these machines only have 128 MB RAM. Using a RAM disk will
>>> be, well, difficult. ;)
>> How about booting over nfs then? That's how I've been using my Amiga ever
>> since Blizzard SCSI -support was dropped.
>

> That's awfully slooooow for a buildd. Remember that every disk access and
> every swapping needs to go through a network card that only let 200-400 kB/s
> going through on Amigas under Linux. Under AmigaOS the Ariadne NICs are
> faster.

For reasons of speed, I would suggest using NBD instead of NFS. There is
support for root-on-NBD since squeeze, if I'm not mistaken (and even
support for that in the installer since wheezy), and due to the fact
that it's just another block device, the kernel can do much more
aggressive caching on the filesystem than it can do with NFS. Since you
eliminate a lot of network round trips, NBD performance is much higher,
even if you're booting a class full of machines from the same NBD
device.

Linux magazine did a nice writeup of that a few years ago if you're
interested; you can download the article at
<http://w3.linux-magazine.com/issue/70/Network_Block_Devices.pdf>.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/