Re: fs-uae_2.2.3-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Hello John,

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 02:02 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> For fs-uae, which is a fork of uae, this holds true because the
> source has been modified by dozens of developers and has been
> forked several times since uae was initially released. There
> are so many contributions that it is sometimes not feasible to
> get the proper source or figure out who holds the copyright.

Then the work belongs in "nonfree", most probably. We can't distribute
work as part of main that violates the DFSG, plain and simple.

> I fully agree that this is not the optimal situation, but sometimes
> we should find a compromise when the last percent to get the
> 100% compliance are nearly impossible to get.
>
> Interestingly, the file "filesys_bootrom.cpp" is already part
> both of "uae" and "e-uae" which are currently both in the
> Debian archive. It's part of the uae sources and subject
> to it's copyright.

A bug should probably be filed against them if the freeness of the file
cannot be determined.

> Both filesys_bootrom.cpp and core.cw4.cpp (a firmware to
> support the Catweasel controller by Individual Computers)
> are native m68k code. There isn't much point in providing
> the source code for these, I'd assume they have been
> written in m68k assembler.

If that controller is not required for the function of the package you
have the option to remove it. I do not really wish to argue as to what
the "point" of having source code available; if it is indeed pointless
(because it is unused, for example), then it is probably not worth
including in the source tarball.

If including it in the source tarball is important, then being able to
modify it is probably also important.

> As for the "sinctable.cpp" file, I'm not sure exactly what it does,
> but is it really necessary to have the Python script available?

We need the preferred form of modification for a work. In the case of
generated code, it is most usually the code that was used to generate
the code.

Cheers,

Luke Faraone
FTP Team