Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Scott Holder wrote:

> ... it appears the kernel is missing the Mac SCSI drivers (or they
> aren't working). It failed to detect any drives. I see the kernel config
> has the Mac SCSI drivers enabled, but maybe there's more to it. This
> machine has a NCR 53C96 SCSI chip

The config at
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/config-3.10-2-m68k
has CONFIG_SCSI_MAC_ESP=m but the kernel modules are not in the initrd at
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/mirnitrd

> I've usually used root=/dev/ram to boot a ramdisk. Otherwise I've never
> needed anything particularly special. I also tried the settings
> mentioned on http://mich431.net/m68k-605.html with the same results.

Michael's initrd contains /sbin/init, which is the default so
"root=/dev/ram" is sufficient for that particular initrd.

Whereas http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/mirnitrd has /init so I'd try
"root=/dev/ram init=/init" with that initrd.

> In general, the LC475 is considered unsupported only because it came
> with a 68LC040 with very broken FPU originally. Swapping it for a full
> 68040 with a full FPU (which I did) should make it run fine.

Right.

Finn