Re: Current and upcoming toolchain changes for jessie

Am 07.05.2013 15:25, schrieb Matthias Klose:
> The decision when to make GCC 4.8 the default for other architectures is
> left to the Debian port maintainers.
[...]
> Information on porting to GCC 4.8 from previous versions of GCC can be
> found in the porting guide http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/porting_to.html
>
> It is planned to only keep GCC 4.8 and the upcoming GCC 4.9, and to remove
> 4.4, 4.6 and 4.7 from jessie.

GCC 4.8 is now the default on all x86 architectures, and on all ARM
architectures (the latter confirmed by the Debian ARM porters).  I did not get
any feedback from other port maintainers, so unless this does change and port
maintainers get involved with toolchain maintenance, the architectures staying
at 4.6 or 4.7 shouldn't be considered for a successful release (re-)qualification.

The Java and D frontends now default to 4.8 on all architectures, the Go
frontend stays at 4.7 until 4.8 get the complete Go 1.1 support.

  Matthias