Re: Graphics on Atari?

Miro Kropáček dixit:

>Years ago, I tried both NetBSD and Linux/m68k but I couldn't get farther
>than a simple command line, i.e. no X. I was always curious if it would be

I tried the X server from potato or something like that, and while
I could get it to install, I didn’t have a Modeline to use, so that
didn’t work. That x.org thingy uses an fbdev driver which doesn’t,
according to the porters, support the planes in the framebuffer for
the various Atari resolutions. (And I tried tham all.)

Thomas Goirand suggested there was one linear framebuffer mode on
the Atari, but I couldn’t find that in the kernel (atafb).

So, pretty much, no X at the moment, although you can certainly
write to the framebuffer…

That being said, XFree86® 4.x is *much* larger than 3.x, and
with Unicode, also fonts getting bigger, I’d suggest running
X with no less than 128 MiB RAM, absolutely no less than 64.

Using a VNC server and then connecting to it from some other
machine however works and can even run KDE 4.8 in a somewhat
acceptable speed (depending on the RAM (~300M) and speed of
the machine).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
„nein: BerliOS und Sourceforge sind Plattformen für Projekte, github ist
eine Plattform für Einzelkämpfer“