Graphics on Atari?

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to see active users/programmers on this list when it comes to Atari platform. I'm wondering, how it's with graphics output on Atari? Years ago, I tried both NetBSD and Linux/m68k but I couldn't get farther than a simple command line, i.e. no X. I was always curious if it would be possible to run let's say Xfce on Atari once :) IIRC, there were some problems with framebuffer drivers or so, really no clue. Is there any progress on this? Has anyone tested this?

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org