Re: The future of an SCC that has been given up on

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM, schmitz
<schmitz@biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
>> Oh, and the kernel lacks support for radeonfb on the Atari ;-)
>> In fact, when booting on an Atari with a PCI Radeon it doesn’t
>> display anything at all. ;-)
>
> That's possible - I don't think I paid much attention to the atafb
> 'external' framebuffer variants. Not sure these would work in your case -
> and I've not ever looked at radeonfb from an Atari perspective. Didn't even
> know there is Atari support in there.

AFAIK there's no Atari support in radeonfb.
And the PCI support for "Atari with PCI" (that's Hades?) was removed from the
Linux kernel several years ago, due to bitrot and nobody caring.

Reviving Hades PCI support is possible (of course, just like adding
Amiga Mediator
PCI support). Who has the hardware?

Radeonfb should work fine on big endian (cfr. PowerMacs), but who's gonna
initialize the graphics chip? On PC, it relies on the BIOS. On PowerMac, it
relies on Open Firmware.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds