Re: The future of an SCC that has been given up on

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:
>>>Creating a sub-list of important stuff that is holding back major portions would
>>>be preferred (IIRC Stephen did use to provide that).
>>
>> Right now, that’s one thing: X.org (and subsequently, the whole shit
>> fd.org/gnome stack). I’ve done everything else keeping us back manually.
>
>What's the (build) problem with X.org?

Someone has to do it.

Were it XFree86®, I’d do it.

But I’m not going to play dependency cycle resolver for the freaking
mess of several(!) hundreds(!) of split packages this has become in
the meantime, as almost every component has versioned dependencies,
too.

In fact, several times I was wondering to fork Debian and use good
old stable XFree86® for it. This would fix so many problems…

>Apart from that, upstream probably no longer has working support for
>Atari and Amiga frame buffers using (interleaved) bitplanes.

I wouldn’t know. I barely know how this works in BSD…

>Getting them in Linus' tree is (slowly) being worked on.

Thanks. I know the ARAnyM NatFeat things were added after I prodded
a bit, after which they were accepted by the Debian Linux Kernel
team. So, once they’re in, you (or Michael, or…) can do the same
for those.

It would be perfect if the buildds could run stock kernels from
unstable, of course. Many (release!) architectures can’t do that,
but we could. All ARAnyM buildds already can.

For those who need Geert’s patches (e.g. EtherNEC/EtherNAT):
https://www.freewrt.org/~tg/debs68k/dists/cross/built/Pkgs/linux-2.6/
contains Debian 3.2.6-1 + Geert v3.2-m68k (Atari only, though);
ragnar76 tested it and confirmed it works.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  “Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
          a peeing section in a swimming pool.”