Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:

>The biggest challenge on the NeXT is that the libraries are approx. 20
>years old. What is there of POSIX, is very broken, and many of the
>standard c library functions are completely obsolete. So even once a
>compile is built and works well, many tests tend to fail.

Well, as long as you’re not on OpenStep 4.2 (then you’d better give
up ☺) it can’t be too bad… RT recently got mksh to build and pass
its testuite (fully!) on NS3.3 with gcc 2.5.8 ;-)

Building mksh and running its testsuite _is_ a good compiler and
libc test anyway. I’ve suggested the GCC people do that several
times already… (when you do, make sure to try CVS HEAD)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of