Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

On 2012-05-17, at 8:38 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Thank you very much for this response and also for your other post referencing the Debian m68k patches.  I will apply the patches  on the next go through the build.

> Vaugha Brewchuk dixit:
>
>> ICE while compiling unwind-dw2.c:
>
> What executable format do you use on NeXTstep?
>
> Is that Mach-O or something similarily cr…uel, or ELF?

It is indeed Mach-O and extremely similar to Darwin.  In fact I used the Darwin configuration files as a reference for modifying the nextstep configuration files between the original gcc-2.5, gcc-3.2 and gcc-4.6.  It was extremely helpful in helping me figure out what to do.  I also spent a considerable amount of time trying to find some references to recent ports of gcc to m68k and was able to locate the Debain port and some unofficial mint ports.  Mint brings back many memories, as I spent many years on an Atari ST before I acquired my NeXT.

> I’m asking because, TTBOMK, unwind-dw2.c is used for
> DWARF2 unwinding which is some ELF thing. Maybe you
> can have a peek at the configuration for m68k-mint,
> also included in the Debian unreleased patches, for
> another nōn-ELF target.

Very interesting that you mention this.  I sifted through the mint config files before jumping into the 4.6 attempt, and reviewed them again once I started having the ICE problem.  More specifically, I was researching the "DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO 0" macro in the mint.h configuration file.  Having read your posts I just decided to just try it and see what happens.  Unfortunately I will not know for at least 12 hours what the outcome is :-).  Yes, just the genattrtab takes over 9.5 hours to execute on a 33 MHz 68040.  It is an exercise in patience and a humbling reminder of the years gone by.

Thank you again!