Re: nbd vs. failing HDDs (was Re: Status)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:51:10 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

I doubt m68k machines will slow down because of NBD. The very first NBD installation that I did was on quickstep, back when its SCSI driver was
still rather crap. It was faster over NBD than it was to local disk.
Running Debian/m68k was the reason why I started doing NBD in the first
place :-)

Erm! Veto! ;)

On Amigas I get 2-4.5 MB/s from SCSI disks, whereas I rarely got more than 400 kB/s via network. Even when I would, all Amiga network cards I know and own are limited to 10 Mbps, so you'll never go beyond 1.2 MB/s.
I happened to get 700-900 kB/s under AmigaOS, though.

But yes, on Macs SCSI was always slow, afair... ;-)

--
Ciao...          //    Fon: 0381-2744150
.     Ingo     \X/     http://blog.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.