Rebuild d-i? And status update.

Hi (Stephen mostly, I think),

now that I’ve built almost all packages up to Priority: standard,
I think you could maybe try for another d-i image like the one
cts recently used, with up-to-date packages, TLS kernel, etc.

Please “compile” a list of Debian source packages I need to
compile (hah!) to get this done; we’ll probably need one of
these linux-kernel-di-* packages too, but I have no knowledge
of d-i or how to make them. Can you contact the d-i/d-boot
people and get the necessary source packages to me?

If source packages are arch:m68k, they will need to have
unreleased instead of unstable in its distribution field.
I’ve already uploaded atari-{bootstrap,fdisk} there, as
they had been binary-only in d-p.org/unstable.

Ah well, new exim4 and mutt coming later tonight, and I
think that finishes that line. My next tasks are mainly
finally making a new Aranym/Quick base image (gah, didn’t
I want to have that done by December 2010?) and hacking on
elfutils, maybe succeeding to make a port to m68k that
passes the testsuite. (If anyone else with better knowledge
on DWARF wants to… be my guest.) It’s not only a build-dep
of the kernel but also of gcc-4.6, which you probably have
surmised is next on the list. (We will ignore gcc-4.5, I
have it on good authority that wheezy will not be released
with gcc-4.5. No idea as to gcc-4.4, or if/when the kernel
team will want to use gcc-4.6, but I fear delaying it any
longer is… not good.)

cts: How is your progress? We’re at the stage where, I
think, we can “just” let a buildd run to mass-compile one
package after the other (as I said, I’m *not* going to
recompile the dependency hell that X is). If you run into
uninstallability problems, check 0-NOTE.txt in my bootstrap
repo, it contains stanzas for /etc/apt/preferences in the
build chroot. (You _will_ have to remove entries for the X
packages while building them, though.) I’ve heard 2.6.39-1
works fine for you, which I’m glad for. (Besides the vga
issue, no trouble for me either yet.)

I uploaded the last base.cow*.tgz (yeah gzip this time)
about two weeks ago, and it’s still good (just run a
cowbuilder --update before using) for now. It probably
will suffice as buildd chroot, too.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
If Harry Potter gets a splitting headache in his scar
when he’s near Tom Riddle (aka Voldemort),