Re: crest & kullervo

Hi Christian,
I picked up crest & kullervo a while ago. Today I tried to power them on,
with not so much luck...

Kullervo has a 250GB disk at the SCSI converter plus a 1GB SCSI disk. The
small disk does not seem to spin up, it is trying though. Without this disk,
kullervo boots but only to the workbench. There do not seem to be any Linux
files, and no CD-Rom driver...

I had feared that - old SCSI disks don't like extended downtimes.

In addition to Finn's suggestion - I have had success with stuck spindles in the past by heating the whole disk assembly to around 100C in an oven (the lab type to dry glassware but your home cooking range's oven should do as well), then taking it out while hot, plugging it into the power supply cable and start up. You can try to gently tap the whole disk on a flat surface (desk) with the PCB board facing down if it doesn't want to play at first.

Crest has a 250GB disk at the SCSI converter plus, if I remember correctly
an IDE disk, since it can not boot from SCSI? Something happens when I power
it on, but I do not see anything on the monitor, not with the Comodore-VGA
converter, not with my scandoubler, not at the VGA output of the videocard.
So maybe it did not boot, maybe the old IDE disk is broken? But there should
be some video output IIRC. C-A-A does reboot the machine (Caps LED is
flashing).
Crest hat a big IDE disk for booting. What I've seen with Crest more than once is that one of the slot connectors connecting the 060 board to the main board had come partially unstuck, and I've had to reseat the board on occasion during its tenure in Düsseldorf. Did that at least five times, usually after the box had been moved. Try that perhaps.

I am uncertain as to whether Crest did need the Amiga monitor to display anything during boot - I think I always plugged in the Amiga monitor when fiddling with the Workbench. The VGA output only came alive after Linux boots IIRC.
So for now it seems to be easier to get Kullervo going. If I find a PC with
a SCSI controller I could plug in the Amiga disk and copy the necessary
files onto it. I think thats how I originally set it up. Unless somebody
You'll have to repartition it I guess - that may indeed be the quickest way to get it up and running.
comes up with a better idea? Should I nudge the 1GB disk a little harder so
that it can spin up again?
See above - bake it for a bit and then try to start. I don't think the disk was set to wait for START_UNIT to spin up.

To nudge it (if you haven't done such a thing before): lift 1cm above surface and whack down quite forcefully.

Good luck,