Re: crest & kullervo

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> I picked up crest & kullervo a while ago. Today I tried to power them
> on, with not so much luck...
>
> Kullervo has a 250GB disk at the SCSI converter plus a 1GB SCSI disk.
> The small disk does not seem to spin up, it is trying though.

I have come across old Quantum SCSI drives in which the grease that
lubricates the spindle had become stiff to the point where they wouldn't
spin up.

With a power extension cable, I found it was possible to hold the drive
just so and with a flick of the wrist, twist the drive case as it tried to
spin up. If done right, this applies a torque around the axis of the
spindle due to inertia of the platters and spindle. It has worked for me
before.

For this exercise, you don't really want the scsi cable plugged in so you
may have the the problem that some drives won't attempt to spin up before
a SCSI initiator tells them to but you can often use a jumper to cause
them to spin up as soon as power is applied.

HTH
Finn