Re: Getting started with 68k linux

I think etch-m68k is out of the old stable category now ? Did the installer ever work on Macs anyway ? (I had to install a minimal Sarge I think, but that may have been an early etch)

Penguin was mac booter for 68k, mklinux was for nubus powermacs (but Bootx added an mklinux option I think);
but for native install now we have the wonderful Emile which floppy images can be downloaded from Sourceforge. If you don't mind bootstrap the boot with floppy.

'040 might run faster if some packages rebuild urself with '040 optimized.

really wants  32MB RAM to install minimum, and FPU (full '040 - software float broke on '040 forever and always). I have run Xwindow with 132MB, but I think it might run with 64.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:
Britt Dodd dixit:

>Is there any up-to-date information to be had for installing Linux/m68k on a

I suppose: install etch-m68k, then put on a new kernel, reboot into
it and dist-upgrade. (Maybe check the chroot I uploaded, whether it
works first.)

>Is there a native way to installing linux, or is it still bootstrapped via
>the mkLinux MacOS thing?

Isn’t there a debian-installer port by Wouter and Stephen?

bye,
//mirabilos, who only has virtual “hardware”…
--
Support mksh as /bin/sh and RoQA dash NOW!
‣ src:bash (241 (259) bugs: 0 RC, 172 (187) I&N, 69 (82) M&W, 0 F&P)