Re: Getting started with 68k linux

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Britt Dodd wrote:

> Is there any up-to-date information to be had for installing Linux/m68k
> on a Mac?

The most up-to-date information that I've seen is in the debian-68k list
archives -- I wrote some of it -- but I don't have any references at hand
(and I'm stuck with 19.2kbps dial-up at present) other than (from memory)
http://lists.debian.org/

> I also own an amiga 4000D but that needs a scandoubler, and
> funds are a little tight.
>
> The mac is a 25Mhz@68040.

Which model?
I have both a Centris 610 and Quadra 660AV. While I know the 660AV definately has the full 040, I believe some ebay action could result in a full 040 for the 610.

> Apparently its also easy to chip to 33Mhz
> (need a heatsink/fan though)
>
> Is there a native way to installing linux, or is it still bootstrapped
> via the mkLinux MacOS thing?

You can download a sarge installer that boots from CD, thanks to the Emile
bootloader.

That sounds exactly like what I want to have on my machine. It'd be nice to boot directly to linux, not via MacOS.

You can boot a previously installed linux without needing MacOS if you
first install the Emile package under Linux then use it to set up the boot
blocks, boot partition, etc.

But to boot a fresh Debian installation, and also the etch-m68k Debian
installer, you still need Penguin (which requires MacOS).

So are you saying that I must start out the installation with MacOS anyway. This statement and the above statement discussing the sarge installer seem to contradict itself. (sorry if I misunderstood)

HTH

Finn

> Britt

Britt