680?0, was Re: g++-4.4 failings

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Kolbj?rn Barmen wrote:

> Other than that - who wouldn't want Freescale to put out one last
> bad-ass m68k for us all... ah *dreaming* :)

I'd be happy with a synthesizable '040 core. Free 68000 cores already
exist:

http://www.experiment-s.de/en/atari-ste-in-a-chip/
http://opencores.org/project,tg68,overview

Compared to the original MC68000, these designs are "bad-ass" already
(i.e. they are faster cycle-for-cycle, have a wider bus, etc. Put one on
an contemporary ASIC and you could probably clock it at half a GHz).

Finn