Re: ARAnyM built packages, and helping buildds along

On Tue, April 13, 2010 3:22 am, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Stephen R Marenka dixit:

>>I'm not inclined to upload these directly to sid, since they were built
>> in
>>a seriously tainted chroot and I had to do some odd things to some of
>> them.
>>That said, I think they're fine for bootstrapping other packages.
>
> Iâ??m building a more clean gcc-4.3_4.3.4-10+m68k right now; my
> build of gcc-4.3_4.3.4-8+m68k was aborted due to a kernel crash,
> but I continued it and managed to install the .deb files and use
> it. While not a cowbuilder, the aranym instance I use is probably
> less â??taintedâ?? than some developersâ?? regular machines, so the
> packages I build *should* be fine.

Very likely. The only caution I have for gcc-4.3 is that some of the ICE
bugs were fixed in gcc-4.4.

> After being done, I plan on getting cowbuilder to work for me.
> Maybe gcc-4.4 later? Or do you already work on it?

I'm still trying to build all of the gcc-4.4 dependencies.

> [ cross-compiling ]
>>Seriously painful.
>
> Mh. IMHO itâ??s only for bootstrapping.
>

> I wonder though: is there SOME way for â??usâ?? to upload a package,
> say, locales_2.5-11_all, to unreleased and have apt use it in
> favour of locales_2.10-*_all from unstable? Maybe have the lat-
> ter excluded from the binary-m68k/Packages file in debian-ports?
> This would help the process (to get builds working again, even
> if itâ??s a bit hackish for now) along somewhat more. Iâ??m relati-
> vely new to this (DD since this year), so please excuse my not
> knowing.

I generally just add my own repo to the buildd, such as [0].
Certainly a more general approach would be nice, but ultimately we
just need to build eglibc.

[0] deb http://www.debian-ports.org/~smarenka/lenny-buildd/ ./

Peace,

Stephen