Re: debian/m68k's future

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net> wrote:
> So you may have noticed the following in your buildd logs for python-
> depending packages.
>
> | dpkg: regarding .../python-docutils_0.5-3_all.deb containing python-docutils:
> |  package uses Breaks; not supported in this dpkg
> | dpkg: error processing /srv/chroot/sid/var/cache/apt/archives/python-docutils_0.
> | +5-3_all.deb (--unpack):
> |  unsupported dependency problem - not installing python-docutils
>
> That's right, our old etch-m68k dpkg doesn't support Breaks.
>
> The options I can think of are.
>
> Option 1: backport dpkg to etch-m68k
>        Yuck. etch-m68k is old and likely insecure. Who knows what
>        back-porting dpkg would look like.

We'd also have to touch APT and a few other packages I suspect to do
this. Great potential to hosing everyone :-/

> Option 2: lenny-lite
>        Build lenny with base, build-essential, and buildd-required
>        packages. I can probably do this one myself if there's
>        interest. I'll probably include anything required for d-i
>        too.

Probably the sanest option, most of the base packages should simply
build and allow a successful debootstrapping.

> Option 3: lenny
>        Go ahead and try to do a lenny release. I think we have
>        nearly all the binary packages, but how to shove them into
>        an archive intelligently? I'm willing to help if anyone
>        knows how and can direct or is otherwise willing to lead.

Binary packages: Yes
Matching versions: Not really

I'd love to see a m68k lenny release however ...