Re: latest cdimage?

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:35:29AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > Oh so frustrating... so here is something to cheer you up. Maybe you don't
>
> Sorry it was frustrating.

Oh, you understood me wrong. Not the installer was frustrating, it actually
worked better than I expected. But the whole procedure of installing an
Amiga from scratch is frustrating, or maybe I don't do it often enough. And
the only reason why I have to re-install it are the new harddisks for crest
and kullervo from which I could not boot on crest and kullervo, though they
work fine on aahz. During my experiments I managed to trash the bootblock of
my main disk in aahz, which contained the complete buildd installation.
So now I have to first install AmigaOS from floppies (I wonder how long the
original disks will last), install drivers for the CD-Rom and all the
goodies that you need if you want to work with the Amiga. And since the OS
is so old, it is not easy to partition large disks, you never know how big
your partitions will be. And once that is done, it is possible to start
installing debian on it, but I don't have a AOS program yet that can gunzip,
I only have the editor that shipped with the OS, I did not find the drivers
floppy for my video card yet (and it is not supported in Linux anyhow), nor
do the drivers for the network card install. The ZIP drive works only
partially, I can not boot off it. I wanted to use it for file transfer, but
it is not mounted automatically.
Similar with the MOD, and I still have only one drive, so to transfer files
I also have to transfer the whole drive, which does not make it more
comfortable. And on top of it the mess with the semi broken keyboard, which
does not really improve the Amiga feeling. This is what is frustrating.

Maybe we (Ingo? ;-) should create a wiki page detailing all the lost
knowledge of installing AmigaOS. Great would be some easy to follow
instructions on how to create a CD image with all the OS and drivers, tools,
etc on it and how to create a bootable floppy, which can be used to install
a system from scratch using one floppy and one CD. Of course we can not
publish the CD or floppy, every user would have to create his own. But with
such a setup it might be easy to install AmigaOS and a set of the most
important tools you will need to have enough on the machine to comfortable
install Debian (or BSD or AROS or whatever) on it. Right now this part
simply takes too much time, and I know my harddisk will break again someday
(it is a used SCSI disk), and this first step will take the fun out of it.

Actually, I recently bought the Amiga Forever CD and did not even look at it
yet. This should be usable for emulators, but maybe it can also be used for
native installs?

Christian