Re: Xorg on m68k

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> > > [ETH0]
> > > Type = ptp
> > > Tunnel = tap0
> > > HostIP = 192.168.3.133
> > > AtariIP = 192.168.3.134
> > > Netmask = 255.255.255.252
> > >
> > > IMO aratapif shouldn't be necessary (I use pretty much the same setup with
> > > qemu), but aranym calls it anyway and complains if it fails.
> >
> > This is pretty cool. I didn't know the uml_utilities would allow me such
> > setup. I was using it in a LAN where it doesn't need the proxy setting
> > but if somebody's got just one IP then the proxy is a very neat
> > solution. I'm adding it to ARAnyM wiki.
>
> I have just realized that this arp proxying is not much different from
> the bridging - for both you need a host LAN. I'd like to try out the
> "ipmasq" one day - I believe it will make it easy even for those without
> LAN.

In a broad sense both are bridging, but arp proxying works at the ip level
and the host acts as a gateway, while bridging connects to ethernet
networks, which means all your host network traffic goes through the
bridge device.
If you only need ip connectivity arp proxying is the considerably simpler
solution, e.g. it's simple to setup multiple tap devices for multiple
emulation instances.
Bridging is only really needed if you want to use DHCP or non-ip
protocols, but it has also a bit larger impact on the host network.

> http://wiki.aranym.org/manual#debian_gnulinux_networking

I tried it now with "Type = bridge" and then aranym won't call aratapif
and everything still works fine. So this works too:

[ETH0]
Type = bridge
Tunnel = tap0

The kernel will print the default ip numbers, which may be a bit
confusing, but they aren't actually used.

The "mini network" could use a bit more explanation: It's a range of four
ip addresses, where 132 is the network address and must be divisible by
four, 133 is the host ip address, which also acts as the gateway for
aranym, 134 is the ip address used by aranym and finally 135 is the
broadcast address for this mini network.

For /etc/sysctl.conf it's probably better to explicitly mention that it
should have a line like this:

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

bye, Roman