Re: Call for Debian Installer testing, before D-I Beta1 release

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:04:24PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:29:33PM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 04:27:56AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > > I did download and try to boot the m68k build of this installer. The
> >
> > Which initrd? cdrom and hd-media want a cd image. nativehd will download
> > everything from the net.
>
> I'm actually not sure at this point. They all have the same file name
> on the server, and I didn't change the name.

Did you use the kernel that was with the initrd's?

> > Interesting, I believe the scsi cdrom used to be builtin. If that's not
> > the case, then I need to add those modules onto the initrd.
>
> It didn't show up in the driver list in /sys, so I presume it wasn't
> loaded. The SCSI controller detected the CD-ROM drive and it showed
> up in /proc/scsi/scsi, but no /dev/sr0 or any equivalent. I did find
> the IDE CD-ROM driver in the appropriate directory in /sys, but this
> system only has SCSI.
>
> > > odd thing is that there doesn't appear to be a network only install.
> >
> > nativehd
>
> OK. I'll make sure to download that one and try it. Would it be
> inappropriate to suggest that this is a somewhat unintuitive choice?

I'd be happy to give it a different name, please feel free to recommend
one. It's very similar to netboot, but as we can't actually netboot
anything I didn't want to be misleading in that direction either.
There's a netinst iso that I don't want to be confused with since this
initrd wouldn't use that (or any) iso.

> > > Still, it does look like we're not in as bad of shape as we thought.
> > > I'm just curious how much RAM I would need to avoid the low-memory
> > > mode, and if there's anything I'm missing because of that. It's not
> > > like we could do a graphical install on m68k. We can barely get X
> > > running after the install.
> >
> > It looks like lowmem level1 kicks in at 64Mb and level2 at 32Mb. I
> > haven't pushed any of those numbers in quite a long time, so we can
> > likely get by with less than that.
>
> That makes sense, I guess. I don't think I have any m68k systems with
> more than 64M of RAM total. The Q840AV could have 128M, but I haven't
> filled it up completely. Some of my older systems only have 16M. Is
> there an easy way to force it into a particular mode for testing?

AFAIK, I need to build an initrd with a modified lowmem udeb. That's not
really a big deal. If someone's willing to test it, I'll build it.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>