Re: Call for Debian Installer testing, before D-I Beta1 release

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:04:31PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Eugen Paiuc wrote:
> > Good news , m68k is reentered in d-i  !
>
> Well, the building of the daily D-I images has never really been disabled as
> far as I know.
>
> > But
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/m68k/iso
> >-cd/
> >
> > are forbidden for users (temporary I hope).
>
> Afraid not. As long as m68k is not in testing, we cannot build CD images
> (all daily/weekly CD images use debs from testing). I have now removed the
> links to the m68k CD images from the D-I project webpage (only thing we can
> do really).
>
> If there are any installation methods that don't require CD images, you
> could try that. You could also see if someone in the Debian m68k community
> would be willing to build CD images using packages from unstable.

I did download and try to boot the m68k build of this installer. The
system in question is a Macintosh Quadra 840AV (64M RAM, 1G SCSI drive).
The mac flavor kernel boots with no issues and sees the major hardware
(internal video, keyboard/mouse, internal SCSI, internal ethernet) and
the installer does start in low-memory mode. I haven't downloaded anything
but the basic installer, so I haven't been able to actually complete
the install.

The CD-ROM method looks like it could work if the SCSI CD-ROM module
was available. It looks like only IDE CD-ROM drives are supported. The
odd thing is that there doesn't appear to be a network only install.
The installer sees and can configure the network, but I couldn't
figure out a way to get it to pull files from it. I haven't tried a
hard drive only install with the files downloaded to a local partition
at this point.

Still, it does look like we're not in as bad of shape as we thought.
I'm just curious how much RAM I would need to avoid the low-memory
mode, and if there's anything I'm missing because of that. It's not
like we could do a graphical install on m68k. We can barely get X
running after the install.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com