Re: Call for Debian Installer testing, before D-I Beta1 release

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 04:27:56AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:04:31PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Eugen Paiuc wrote:
> > > Good news , m68k is reentered in d-i  !
> >
> > Well, the building of the daily D-I images has never really been disabled as
> > far as I know.
> >
> > > But
> > > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/m68k/iso
> > >-cd/
> > >
> > > are forbidden for users (temporary I hope).
> >
> > Afraid not. As long as m68k is not in testing, we cannot build CD images
> > (all daily/weekly CD images use debs from testing). I have now removed the
> > links to the m68k CD images from the D-I project webpage (only thing we can
> > do really).
> >
> > If there are any installation methods that don't require CD images, you
> > could try that. You could also see if someone in the Debian m68k community
> > would be willing to build CD images using packages from unstable.
>
> I did download and try to boot the m68k build of this installer. The

Which initrd? cdrom and hd-media want a cd image. nativehd will download
everything from the net.

> system in question is a Macintosh Quadra 840AV (64M RAM, 1G SCSI drive).
> The mac flavor kernel boots with no issues and sees the major hardware
> (internal video, keyboard/mouse, internal SCSI, internal ethernet) and
> the installer does start in low-memory mode. I haven't downloaded anything
> but the basic installer, so I haven't been able to actually complete
> the install.
>
> The CD-ROM method looks like it could work if the SCSI CD-ROM module
> was available. It looks like only IDE CD-ROM drives are supported. The

Interesting, I believe the scsi cdrom used to be builtin. If that's not
the case, then I need to add those modules onto the initrd.

> odd thing is that there doesn't appear to be a network only install.

nativehd

> The installer sees and can configure the network, but I couldn't
> figure out a way to get it to pull files from it. I haven't tried a
> hard drive only install with the files downloaded to a local partition
> at this point.
>
> Still, it does look like we're not in as bad of shape as we thought.
> I'm just curious how much RAM I would need to avoid the low-memory
> mode, and if there's anything I'm missing because of that. It's not
> like we could do a graphical install on m68k. We can barely get X
> running after the install.

It looks like lowmem level1 kicks in at 64Mb and level2 at 32Mb. I
haven't pushed any of those numbers in quite a long time, so we can
likely get by with less than that.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>