Re: D-I Etch+1/2 CD images (was: D-I Etch+1/2 kernel selection)

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Yep, but that didn't pass the davem test, right?
> > >
> > > Anyway, I expect to have more free time to spend on that kind of stuff
> > > now. Did 2.6.25 come earlier than anticipated, or what? Have these
> > > drivers been removed in your tree as well?
> >
> > 2.6.24 has been out for 2 weeks. The ESP drivers were removed from the
> > scsi-misc tree, and the plan seems to be removal from Linus's tree for
> > 2.6.25.
>
> Right - that still leaves a brief window to procrastinate. First the newly
> introduced falconide panic, though.
>
> Geert: this bit looks fishy -
>
>         hw->io_ports[IDE_DATA_OFFSET] = ATA_HD_BASE;
>
>         for (i = 1; i < 8; i++)
>                 hw->io_ports[i] = ATA_HD_BASE + 1 + i * 4;
>
>         hw->io_ports[IDE_CONTROL_OFFSET] = ATA_HD_CONTROL;
>
> The last line should read
>
> 	hw->io_ports[IDE_CONTROL_OFFSET] =  ATA_HD_BASE + ATA_HD_CONTROL;

Thanks!

> at the very least. OTOH I'm not sure falconide_setup_ports ever got
> called ... the 39 in a1 looks like it might be the control offset but the
> segfault was at 0.
>
> Anyway, with unpatched 2.6.24 (commit df922075f2a55b1ae71a6fe589c1cc1b91381f4f)
> and the above change I see no segfault. I see, however, a identify message
> like
>
> hda: aSgr e6mk8
>
> and
>
> hda: 0 sectors
>
> which is somewhat fatal. Did the byte swapping in the IDE driver get
> removed? We had this in ide-iops.c as late as 2.6.19:
>
> #ifdef M68K_IDE_SWAPW
>         if (M68K_IDE_SWAPW) {   /* fix bus byteorder first */
>                 u_char *p = (u_char *)id;
>                 u_char t;
>                 for (i = 0; i < 512; i += 2) {
>                         t = p[i];
>                         p[i] = p[i+1];
>                         p[i+1] = t;
>                 }
>         }
> #endif
>
> That's still needed for Atari and Q40. Again, may be due to me using
> vanilla sources instead of Geert's quilt patches, though I saw no trace of
> that in the patch titles.
> Putting that bit back in gives me a bootable kernel (on ARAnyM).
> Yay for AranyM!

That's POSTPONED/141-ide.diff, not mainline. Good to know it's still needed.
I'll try to get it mainlined.

Note that recently some byteswapping code was removed (the generic one
you can specify on the kernel command line, to read normal disks on
e.g. Atari and Atari disks on normal systems), but I did check that one
didn't impact us.

> BTW: the borked ATA_HD_CONTROL register bug will alsi hit macide (and
> perhaps others). gayle.c passes the sanitized control port value to
> gayle_setup_ports so it's in the clear.

Thx, good to know! Didn't check Gayle since last weekend...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds