Re: EMILE package testers sought

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of an issue: the EMILE packages have had RC bugs filed
> against them for a while now. They're small problems, but in order to be
> able to fix them, I need something which I don't appear to have: a
> machine able to run unstable on a 2.6 kernel. What I have is this:
>
> - a IIci, which (AFAIK) does not run 2.6

At the moment I'm working on replacing the mac_esp SCSI driver, since the
the SCSI developers are eager to remove it from 2.6.25... I will check out
the IIci problem after the new driver is finished.

> - A Centris 650; same problem

Strange. The boot failure you described recently on the IIci was one I've
never seen on Q650's. They generally work fine. Is this an FPU emulation
issue perhaps? What CPU does Penguin report?

Also, it sounds like your IIci and C650 fail early, so I'd check for
problems on the MacOS side: e.g. boot MacOS without extensions (hold down
shift when you hear the chime, release it when you "extensions disabled").
Enabling virtual memory might help (see the Memory control panel).

> - A Quadra 700. This one *does* run 2.6, but the kernel I've installed
>   does not support the network; and apparently I can't seem to be able
>   to boot its 2.2 kernel anymore (no clue why), so I can't fix the issue
>   that way

I tested my Q700 when I was working on ADB (so I think 2.6.22 works). I
also sent a patch for DP8390 ethernet around the same time, to bring it up
to par with 2.2.25.

If 2.2.25 doesn't boot, then try disabling extensions etc. If that doesn't
help, I'd need to know where it fails.

> - A Quadra 950. Support for this machine has always been poor, so I'm
>   not really using it these days. Also, the emile build which is in the
>   archive today and which worked on my IIci didn't work on the Quadra
>   950, so I'm reluctant to use this machine for testing.

Again, my Q950 works fine except for the external SCSI bus. My new ESP
driver should fix that issue though.

> ... that's it, I guess. If I'm mistaken, and either the Centris 650 or
> the IIci should be able to run 2.6 with networking (the IIci has a NuBus
> network card), then please let me know. If the most recent kernel
> supports networking on the Quadra 700, please also let me know, and I'll
> try that.
>
> In case none of the above helps, I'd appreciate it if anyone could
> please try out the emile packages which I've just built and are
> available at [1]; if they work, I'll upload them to Debian.

I'd prefer to help get your machines working than spend time on EMILE
right now.

I had thought that all relevant patches made it into one debian kernel or
another. Anyway, I think the best approach is: I shold build a kernel,
test it on the same hardware, and then send it to you (after I finish with
mac_esp that is...)

-f