Re: Coldfire exlerator card

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Kolbjørn Barmen <debian@kolla.no> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, that could always be cool. Note that you can already run Linux
> > > on ColdFire -- just not Debian.
> >
> > Any details on the linux that actually runs on it? What kernels are
> > these, which libc is used, compatibility with "regular" m68k etc.
> >
> I saw on uCLinux all that, supposedly full support but 2.6 kernel maybe
> still in beta. only looked, but have thought about trying to see if
> their kernels would boot a mac...

Are you referring to m68k-nommu? ISTR all your macs have MMUs.

> > This also reminds me... what is the current situation regarding glibc
> > and m68k? I remember I never got 2.4 going due to lack of native posix
> > threading library, but then there was 2.5.x and now even 2.6.1. I have
> > briefly looked for m68k in Changelogs, but didnt find much.
>
> AFAIK it is stuck since late June, but up to then it was pretty much on
> track with rest of debian. that was about the transition to 2.6 m68k has
> not made yet. because the compiler, 4.1 problems here.

Not exactly. As I recall, NPTL (glibc) requires TLS (kernel) and __thread
(gcc) support which have been discussed for years, but (AFAIK) all three
remain implemented for m68k. So it can't exactly be called "stuck since
late June", and has nothing to do with gcc 4 bugs.

-f