[buildd] Stuff

Hi,

My BoF about m68k here at DebConf went quite well; most of the release
team was present, as was James Troup for at least part of it. One thing
that came out of the discussion is that they really, really want 'faster
buildd machines'; apparently someone in the security team (I don't
recall who exactly) is really adamant about this too, because we appear
to be delaying security updates from time to time. Having a faster
machine to build security updates therefore would seem to be necessary.
I'd suggest you go view the video, but unfortunately the power failed
while we were working, so it's probably not there.

I had a short discussion with James Troup, and he told me he'd enable
Bill Allombert's emulated buildd machine. Now that it usefully runs
faster than crest, I think that's the best way to move forward, and I
had the feeling that most of the m68k team thought about it that way,
too (right?). Perhaps we should consider getting us a few more fast i386
machines and set up ARAnyM on those as well, although I don't think it'd
be smart to phase out physical m68k hardware entirely just yet.

Also, I/we've been asked to start building for oldstable ('oldstable' in
wanna-build, as opposed to oldstable-security), since they apparently
have the ability now to do point releases of oldstable too, which they
want to do, and there's already 61 packages in needs-build for oldstable
(d-i stuff to a large extent).

I decided that since quickstep is still running 2.2 ATM, it can't be
very useful for experimental autobuilding for much longer (newer glibc
in unstable will require a newer kernel rather soonishly), so that it
might make sense to start using it for oldstable and stable. I'm
currently in the process of setting it up as such (hopefully that'll be
finished sometime during the week), and James told me he'd add the key
to wanna-build.

That however leaves us without a buildd for experimental, so I'm
thinking about resurrecting ska for that purpose (I've been having to do
that for about a year now; now seems as good a time as any), unless
someone else has a better idea (ska still couldn't run >2.4 last time I
tried; but that's been about a year ago, so it might work today)

That's about it for now, I guess. Enjoy,

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22