Re: upgraded to lenny/sid and ordered RAM

On 17/05/2007, at 3:11 PM, Brian Morris wrote:

On 5/16/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> so i decided in order to track unstable i really had to get 64MB. but > then I have another machine the quadra 605 so i got a 128MB for the 630 > and a 64 for the 605. supposedly these large cards work only in these
> two machines (or similar).

I should have said maybe they are not in yet. should
be delivered late this week.

I have a 2-socket LC630 or Q630 motherboard that I was thinking of
upgrading.. I read somewhere that they would only accept 64 + 16. I guess
that is wrong? What sort of SIMMs are yours? Can you tell me the chip
count or the chip part codes? I've seen some 72 pin, 64 MB, DEC SIMMs on
ebay of late, but I didn't feel confident enough to buy some.

the best web link i could find on this topic was
http://colourclassicfaq.com/mobo/ram.html

according to this your machine (which is actually
seems a 631 motherboard. I have a 630 - it only has
one slot, but i have seen a 631 and it had two).
has the highest possible RAM at upper limit of 192MB.

It looks to me like you have to use single sided cards in
the second slot and double sided in the first, and neither
likes double banked (wide) one. problem I had on
ebay was often it says "may not be the exact picture".
even the memory companies on their own sites do this.

so anyway the parts i got i do not have to look at yet
but on the order reciept it says:

  128MB Apple Performa 630 Series 72-pin SIMM (p/n APL72P128)
	$49.98  	1  	$49.98
64MB PowerMac 6100, Performa, Quadra 72-pin SIMM (p/n
APPLE-64MB-FPM-SIMM) 	$19.98 	1 	$19.98

(I think I spent too much)

Naa. There is cheaper out there, but do you really want to pay $20? :)
KAH32X32-60  	128MB, 72 PIN Fast Page Mode Simm 60NS
PS have not yet purchased for this place. Feedback anyone?

With regard to the memory the 630 may have the interleaved refresh feature/problem. (which means if it does, that the 4k refresh is spread over 2 banks of 2k! silly apple. this is what happens in the Q610 and Q650. Or more accurately the A13 pin is used for bank selection rather than address selection.) If the 64mb is a 2k chip it'll work fine in the 630. the 128 may also work.

The 605 handles 128 easily.

Oh, and startup takes at least 2 mins to check the ram (blank screen) if you don't have a battery that works.

Now to test the 2.6.21 kernels
--
Michael Tomkins
michft@gmail.com