Re: Trying out 2.6 Was: Re: Mac Keyboard Issues in X

On 06/05/2007, at 2:51 AM, Joel Ewy wrote:

Brad Boyer wrote:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:59:57PM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:

So is did Debian transition from XF86 3.x to 4.x with Woody?  Is it
reasonable to think that the issue might lie in the 4.x ADB keyboard
driver? Does Etch switch from XF86 to xorg? Any reason to think that might work any better? Anybody else running X on a Mac who can confirm
this behavior?

Yes, Debian appears to have switched versions between potato and woody.
I don't know about how the ADB was handled in X back in those days,
but with a 2.6 kernel ADB is using the normal input layer in the kernel. This should make it act the same in X as a PC style keyboard. I haven't
tried it myself, however.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com

Thanks, Brad.

I think all I've ever used on the Mac was 2.2 kernels. I'm a bit afraid
that moving to a 2.6 kernel will break all my hardware, but it's
certainly worth a try.  It's too bad 2.6 has broken serial.

So which kernel should I try?  Is there a particular one people would
like feedback on?  How about one of Christian Steiges' from here:
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/ ? I looks like
ljmoore had some success with 2.4.18-4 on a Quadra.  I see Finn Thain
has his own 2.6.20.7: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/ riccardo/
Any special advice on getting either of these running on a Q840av (2m
VRAM / 128M RAM) or Q630 (56M RAM) with Sarge? I noticed from his post
on this list that ljmoore had to change some things in /etc/rcS.d...

JCE

Comply with the latest one, so the 2.6.20.7 kernel is the one you should try. That being said, 2.6.18 has a .deb to put the right stuff in the right places. If you are happy with the console and gunzip and scp/cp do the 2.6.20.

Emile has rescue disks for both 2.2 and 2.6. Get one of these working BEFORE you try out the kernel.

tune2fs -i 0 /dev/sd.. <-your startup here. (we need to fix RTC)

copy a correct keymap to /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz (I suggest / usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/defkeymap.kmap.gz, this is only if you are using a 2.6 kernel.)

make sure that ssh works, and networking is all ok. (and remember ssh in and "loadkeys defkeymap" or "loadkeys ...." if adb is still not working. loadkeys is if the keys are showing the wrong key, if they are echoing no keys this will not help)

make sure that you have installed kernelstuff. (/boot /lib) and make sure the "System.map" link points to the right place. If you are using penguin make sure there is a kernel also on the hfs.

Cross your fingers, reboot and give feedback.
--
Michael Tomkins
michft@gmail.com