Mac Keyboard Issues in X

Hey all,

I've got a pile of old 68k Macs that I've been playing with Debian on on
an occasional basis for years now.  First installed Potato on a IIci,
then obtained some better hardware, and have put Woody and Sarge on a
couple Q840av machines, and most recently used Laurent Vivier's Emile
installer ISO to put Sarge on a Q630.

Back in 2004 when I installed Woody on an 840av, I noted that keys
wouldn't repeat in X.  (e.g., you can't scroll with arrow keys, hold 'j'
down in vi or less and move down more than one line at a time, or eat up
a line with the backspace key)  This feature worked in the console with
no problem.  I posted a question to this list, but we didn't get
terribly far with it.  Same issue in Sarge with a fresh install on a
completely different machine.

Today I dug out my old Potato CDs and did a very basic install on a
Quadra 700.  Though I don't have the keyboard configured quite right
(the backspace key is the same as delete, for example) key repeat does work.

So is did Debian transition from XF86 3.x to 4.x with Woody?  Is it
reasonable to think that the issue might lie in the 4.x ADB keyboard
driver?  Does Etch switch from XF86 to xorg?  Any reason to think that
might work any better?  Anybody else running X on a Mac who can confirm
this behavior?

What I'd ultimately like to do is set up a Q700 w/ 2M VRAM / 20M RAM as
an X terminal for a Q630 -- should divide up the CPU load a bit and
leave more RAM for apps on the Q630.  But I'd like an X terminal where I
can hold down a key and have it repeat.  If I can get it to work right,
I might build freenx and see if that improves performance over the old
10M ethernet adaptors.  Finally, I might do a case hack and package both
machines in a single tower case.

Here's an archive my last post in that thread from '04:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.debian.ports.68k/2004-08/msg00445.html

I think it just has to be something to do with XF86 4...  Any wisdom?

JCE