Re: Hardware for Debian-68k

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:10:03PM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:
>
> > Sonic is fixed in 2.6, but there's no mouse or keyboard on that model
> > because the IOP ADB driver isn't working (and isn't even present in
> > Christian's mac kernels because it was crashy). I plan to work on IOP
> > ADB when I get the hardware.
> >
> > If you can make do without a keyboard, you may want to try Christian's
> > kernel.
> >
> >     http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/linux-image-2.6.18-4-mac_2.6.18.dfsg.1-11_m68k.deb
>
> I've been running the 2.6.17 variant on my two 950's for quite a while.
> Love it! (Guess it's time to upgrade.:)

Here are my results with Linux 2.6.20, fresh from my "new" Q950:

Passing the args "debug debug=ser" hangs during early boot at "K" (hangs
at "J" on the 2.2 kernel). Also, after I'd booted the kernel, I
accidentally sent something like "+++ ATH" to the serial port and it
panic'd in the SCC interrupt handler.

To get the Q950 to boot, I had to disable the external SCSI bus (connected
to the hard disk) by passing "mac53c9x=1". The only other SCSI device, the
CD-ROM, was on the internal bus. It is non-functional too ("Device
offlined - not ready after error recovery"). Passing "mac53c9x=1,0" or
"mac53c9x=-1,0" didn't help. I ended up using an NFS root rather than
trying the boot disk on the internal bus.

Soft power doesn't work. Don't know whether it used to work in the 2.2
kernel.

The good news is, IOP ADB works fine, probably because I'm using a patched
VIA1 IRQ dispatcher. Christian has those patches now, so I think it is
time to enable CONFIG_ADB_IOP again.

-f