Re: which gcc compiler for v3r1

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 11:05:51AM -0500, heymanj@acm.org wrote:

> I'm trying to show a group of students the difference in CPUs - performance
> wise - using the same C code (generates value of PI through 1M iterations).
>
> Have the code working on a dual 1GHz P3, a 300MHz PowerPC G3, and wanted
> to get it working on my Amiga A3000 (w/68040).
>
> v3r1 has been installed from CD ROM.
>
> gcc isn't installed by default, so I've been trying various packages.
>
> I've tried apt-get, dselect, and aptitude to install gcc.  Each time,
> I get errors about unresolved dependencies
>
> gcc-3.4 says that it depends on binutils (>=2.15-5) [UNAVAILABLE]
> gcc-2.95 says that it depends on binutils (>=2.11.90.0.1-1) [UNAVAILABLE]
>
> apparently no binutils are installed
>
> Can someone give me a pointer to solve this?

Install binutils. Or what do you want to hear?

buildd@aahz:~>wajig policy binutils
binutils:
  Installed: 2.15-6
  Candidate: 2.15-6
  Version Table:
 *** 2.15-6 0
        500 http://debian stable/main Packages
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You probably want to install gcc, which depends on gcc-3.3. gcc-2.95 is
nice, but a little outdated, gcc-3.4 might have more problems on m68k than
you want, gcc-3.3 was the default compiler for sarge. If you upgrade your
system to etch (Debian 4.0), you will get gcc-4.1, which works pretty well
on m68k by now. If you install the build-essential package, you will get the
default C compiler for the Debian distribution you installed, plus
libc6-dev, bintutils, make, and a few other packages that do not hurt to
have installed. Depending on what you want to compile, you will need more
packages installed.

I don't remember which packages are on which CD, but your problem might be,
that you only have the first CD and the compiler is not on this CD. So you
either need some more CDs or download the packages from the internet, which
only requires a: "apt-get install build-essential" as root. If you decide to
use more CDs, use apt-cdrom.

Christian